The Importance of Upper Funnel PPC Strategies
Upper funnel advertising refers to the messaging that reaches users before they are aware of your brand, product, or service. The upper funnel PPC advertising strategies is vital to sustainable growth and avoiding stagnation. The PPC advertising tactics are used to target the customers at the top of the upper purchase funnel and build awareness about your brand, product or service.
Why Are Upper Funnel Strategies Important?
Focusing only on the low funnel strategies limits the overall performance of your PPC strategies as you are only addressing one part of the marketing funnel, which can run dry while doing nothing to fill the funnel backup. Growing at the top of the funnel through different PPC marketing strategies aimed at making more people aware about your product/service/brand of your business. Growing the top of the funnel different PPC marketing strategies can result in greater overall search volume for your brand as the users enter the top of the funnel and work their way down. The advertisers should expect to see more things such as the branded searches, a very low funnel action etc. With that in mind, top of funnel strategies are more appropriate at certain times and for certain business advertisers than others.
How Do We Know When It is Time for the Upper Funnel PPC?
When the budget of your campaign is low, it makes sense to maximize your return on the lower funnel strategies first. But when budget is limited, a strong case for top of the funnel, brand awareness can still be made. Here are some of the cases you want to consider about the shifting of the strategies out of just tried and true, low funnel PPC efforts –
- When the branded search impression share stays static or even grows, but the impression volume declines.
- When you have optimized all of your current search campaigns extensively and the only plausible room for growth is adding more long tail, exact match keywords (i.e. you have tapped out your current targeting).
- When you consistently are not hitting on your target budgets because there is not much more to buy on the search network.
- When the Google trends shows the consistent downward trends either for your brand or for your top non-branded terms or for both the factors.
These are all the signs which reveal that the bottom of your funnel is depleting, and you need to put some efforts so as to fill it back up are needed to either grow or sustain the business.
Upper Funnel PPC Strategies
Upper funnel marketing strategies are most commonly thought of as the display and video. The Google Display Network, consider different types of audience that can lead to new first touches with the users. The audiences dealt in the Google Display Network are –
- Custom Intent (In-market + Keywords)
- Similar Audiences to the Remarketing Lists
- Affinity and Demographics off of the audience insights
As you have identify different types of audiences you want to target, now think about the appropriate messaging for those audiences and what ad formats will resonate the best with them. The Ad formats that resonate best are –
- Discovery Ads (Responsive display + Video)
- Video Ads for the YouTube
- Responsive Display Ads
- Gmail Ads
These types of ads are found in the campaign types such as the display and video that have a whole array of bidding strategies to choose from. Since the goal of these ads campaigns is brand exposure rather than last-click conversions, so consider the strategy that matches that overall goal. The strategies that matches the best are –
- Target CPM
- Maximize Clicks
Things to Consider When Implementing a New Upper Funnel PPC Strategy
The things you have to consider when implementing a new upper funnel PPC strategy are –
- Attribution – You have to consider a different attribution model that better reflects this position in the funnel.
- Goal – You must have a clear goals to gauge success that fit the funnel strategy. Do not use the same CPA or ROAS goals you use for lower-funnel strategies. They will disappoint and more importantly, inaccurately represent the effectiveness of the ads campaigns.
- KPIs – You have to consider what upper-funnel KPIs you should be looking at. Instead of the conversion focused KPIs, look to engagement metrics such as time on the website, pages per session, new vs. returning users or at the very least facilitate conversions or other soft conversion metrics.